Organizing is a passion of mine and is something that I think can help everyone tremendously, which is why you will see me talking about it often on MapleMoney.com. I think it’s important to live an organized life, because being organized is one of the best ways to save money – and I’m sure we can all agree that saving money is a good thing!
Below you will find 50 organizing hacks that can help you keep it all together.
Around the home:
1. Use an over-the-door shoe rack to organize smaller items in your pantry.
2. Store taper candles in empty paper towel rolls.
3. Use storage ottomans to house throw blankets and extra pillows.
4. Use bread tags to organize cords.
5. Use an old tool caddy to corral art or cleaning supplies.
6. Create a snack bin so that there are always snacks available when hunger strikes.
7. Use an ice cube tray to store small jewellery, such as rings and earrings.
8. Use plastic zip-top bags for organizing smaller items around your home.
9. Take advantage of unused space under your bed and use under-bed storage containers to store extra blankets and pillows.
10. Use wicker baskets for organizing just about anything. They look nicer than plastic and often last longer, too.
11. Lazy Suzan‘s are your best friend. Use them everywhere.
12. Use tension rods in cupboards to organize cutting boards and baking sheets.
13. Store sheet sets inside corresponding pillowcases.
14. Use clear storage containers for organizing, so you can see exactly what is inside.
15. Rotate toys every few months to avoid toy overload.
16. Keep all soccer balls, basketballs, etc. in a large mesh bag.
17. Attach wheels to old drawers and use them as under-bed storage.
18. Use a plastic storage bin with holes to organize ribbon.
19. If you bake more than you cook, use a spice rack for sprinkles instead of spices.
20. Use a cork board to hang necklaces and bracelets.
21. Save space by storing your wrapping paper rolls on the ceiling.
22. Attach a magazine holder onto the inside of your bathroom cabinet door to store your curling iron, hair dryer and/or flat iron.
23. Screw a jar lid to the bottom of a shelf and organize desk supplies off of your work space.
24. Use a serving tray to add additional storage for drinking glasses to your cupboard.
25. Use old baking pans to group like items together in your pantry (we keep oils & vinegars in ours).
26. Use a travel soap box to store card games.
27. Turn a dish drainer into a file holder.
28. Add a tension rod to the inside of one of your cabinets to hang spray bottles for cleaning.
29. Organize your cupcake liners in a spaghetti jar.
30. Instead of folding, roll your bath towels so that you can fit more of them in your linen closet.
Reuse for another purpose:
31. Reuse egg cartons to organize small items.
32. Reuse glass jars for art supplies and pantry items.
33. Reuse cereal boxes for magazine storage.
34. <ahref=https://maplemoney.com/frugal-tip-re-use-wipe-containers-to-store-grocery-bags/>Reuse cleaning wipe containers to hold plastic grocery bags.
35. Reuse baby food jars to store spices.
36. Reuse an old Tic Tac box to store bobby pins.
37. Reuse pop can boxes to store soup cans.
38. Make lined canvas bins from old diaper boxes.
39. Organize keys according to colour with key tags (or paint with nailpolish).
40. Use Pinterest to organize your recipes and eliminate cookbook clutter.
41. Purchase inexpensive organizing tools at the dollar store (most are decent quality).
42. Plan weekly or monthly menus to save time and money at the grocery store.
43. Keep a dry-erase board on your refrigerator to write down groceries you need to pick up the next time you go shopping.
44. Use shoe boxes to store sentimental items.
45. Hang your clothes hangers backwards and as you wear items and put them back, put them on the right way. In 6 months, donate anything that is still on the backwards hangers.
46. Turn wire hangers into flip flop hangers.
47. Set up a donation station and donate the contents when you’ve run out of room.
48. Scan or take photos of your child’s artwork to prevent paper clutter.
49. Use a cereal container as a trash bin for your vehicle.
50. Organize batteries using a fish tackle box.