Happy Canada Day! In honour of the occasion, I thought I might go over some of the economic reasons we love living here, and why you might want to move here if you don’t already. These aren’t my ideas, by the way. I found them in an amusing post over at The Daily Reckoning that cautioned as follows: Don’t Underestimate Canadian Economic Growth.
I’ve acknowledged the waves of applause our home and native land has received over the past few years for our stronger financial regulations and sound(er) fiscal policies. I’ve also raised a couple of concerns over our housing market (CMHC: Fannie Mae Canadian Style?) and the growing levels of household debt many of us are servicing (Canada: Golden Child or Tag Along Sibling?). Although these concerns are valid, there’s no other country in the world I’d rather call home, so today is all about accentuating the positive! 🙂
12 Reasons to Move to Canada
- Top personal tax bracket is 46% (combined federal and provincial). For that we get free schools, free healthcare and a social safety net that works.
- Top corporate tax rate of 38% and a small business tax rate of 16.5%. The top corporate rate is scheduled to drop to 26% in five years.
- Love in one of the safest places on earth. The crime rate is very low.
- Freedom to travel abroad where all countries welcome you and like you.
- A banking system that works. Sorry, no easy way to buy a home without 10% down at least.
- Most populated cities do not have the risk of forest fires, floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, mudslides or earthquakes.
- A rich resource base in oil, gas, gold, copper, iron ore, lumber, potash, wheat and uranium.
- A small population of 35 million. (Note from 2 Cents: I always say that Canada is a great place to live for introverts! ;))
- Real estate prices are very affordable.
- A government system that works (most of the time). We are the Saudi Arabia of water resources.
- We produce the best comedians in Hollywood, (Jim Carey, Mike Myers, Martin Short, Howie Mandel, Dan Aykroyd), some great actors (Michael J. Fox, William Shatner, Pamela Anderson, Donald and Kiefer Sutherland, Keanu Reeves, Matthew Perry), some great musicians (Celine Dion, Bryan Adams, Bare Naked Ladies, Neil Young, Alanis Morissette, Gordon Lightfoot, Paul Anka, Rush).
- If you believe global warming is coming, then Canada will have the best climate over the next 100 years!!
Again, I take no credit for this list, but I thank the editors of The Daily Reckoning for printing these comments from a Canadian reader. With regard to the global warming commentary, I would just like to state for the record that most of the Canadian population lives in a fraction of the country’s geography which is definitively not Arctic. In fact, I live in a Canadian city that is actually south of our nearest big U.S. city!
What are some of the things you love about Canada?