Healthy Eating by Prepping on Sunday!
Something new that I am starting this month is cooking as much as I can on Sunday, for the week ahead. I am hoping that this will help me to eat healthier and also save time in the kitchen.
As much as I love menu planning, that alone was not preventing me from eating unhealthy snacks and meals. Honestly, I was simply too lazy to whip up the healthy foods that were on our menu for the week.
I am hoping this new Sunday food prep idea will help.
Here’s what I made yesterday, in about 3 hours time:
- Cut up carrots, celery and cucumber for snacks
- Cup up strawberries and pineapple for snacks and adding to oatmeal or yogurt
- Homemade hummus for veggies
- Hard-boiled eggs for lunches/snacks
- Healthy peanut butter balls (added a bit of cocoa for some chocolate flavour)
- Garlic & parmesan roasted chickpeas
- Cut up broccoli & cauliflower for dinner sides
- Healthy bran muffins for breakfast and snacks
- Homemade granola bars
- Homemade granola for granola bars and yogurt topping
I felt so accomplished once I finished everything and my husband was very surprised that I cooked/baked for 3 hours straight – but it honestly didn’t feel that long. I was too caught up in how awesome it was going to be to have all of this food made for the week ahead!
As you can see, I mostly focused on snacks this week because snacks are my weakness (where I do the most unhealthy eating). Next week, I am going to also try cooking up some meat and side dishes (quinoa, rice, etc.) to make dinner and lunch prep easier and more healthy, too.