This is part 2 of our home buying process. You can read part 1 here, and be sure to come back tomorrow for part 3!
We spoke to our realtor and he told us that the first house we’d bid on came down in price, and asked if we wanted to put another bid on it. We knew that it was overpriced and that they would come down eventually, but didn’t think it would be so soon after they’d turned us away.
We thought about it for awhile, weighed the pros and cons of that house, and decided to try one more time. I was tempted to bid the same amount as the first time, just to annoy them (I was still upset that they completely turned down a very reasonable offer), but my husband talked me out of it.
We only came up a few thousand dollars from our original bid and sent over all the paperwork to our realtor.
Step #4: Be firm with what we could afford to pay
The homeowners actually came back with a counter offer this time (surprise!), but it wasn’t much of a difference from their new listing price.
We signed back with our top dollar and told our realtor to let them know that this was our last and final bid on the house. If they didn’t accept it, we were going to walk away for good.
After what seemed like forever (but was only a day or two), I heard back. Our realtor said that the homeowners didn’t want to accept our bid, but he offered up some of his commission to them to seal the deal. Did I mention we had an awesome realtor?
Step #5: Complete the home inspection
After everyone signed stacks of papers, it was settled. We owned our first home. Well, not quite. We first had to hire a lawyer (which was easy), and find someone to do a home inspection.
A bunch of people from my husband’s work recommended a fantastic home inspector named Gary Luney, who came to do the home inspection at the house a few days after we agreed on the purchase price.
We walked through the house with him for about 2 hours, and we couldn’t believe what he was telling us about this house we’d just agreed to buy…
…to be continued