Interview with organizing expert: Laura from Organizing Junkie
She’s so smart when it comes to organizing! It’s no wonder she was offered a book deal! You can check out Laura’s book, Clutter Rehab on Amazon, and in book stores.
|1. How long have you been an organizing junkie?
I think many will be surprised to learn that I haven’t been an organizing junkie my entire life. My teenage bedroom was a disaster if I ever did see one. I became addicted to the high of organizing when my husband and two young kids at the time had to get creative with 900 square feet of living space. I had nowhere to put a desk to use as office space and I was able to turn a small closet into an office area that thrilled me to no end. I was hooked after that!2. What is one area in your home that is the hardest to organize and why?
Well, I’d have to say my husband’s spaces (specifically the garage) because I don’t touch those. We have an agreement that he’ll follow my systems in the rest of the house as long as I don’t touch his stuff. Agreed! I absolutely respect his space and don’t want to jeopardize his trust in me especially over stuff. It’s all about compromise and negotiation.3. How do you save money on organizing supplies? Do you have any favorite stores for purchasing those supplies?
This is where I excel. I live in Canada and have no access to Container Stores and other lovely organizing gems like that (not to mention the budget!) so I’ve learned to improvise and use products in new fresh ways than maybe what they were originally intended. I hit up garage sales and thrift shops frequently and as well as Walmart and the Dollar Store. Our dollar stores here have a ton of organizing baskets and bins that make organizing cupboards and drawers a breeze at a really great price.
4. Just like me, I know you love your label maker! Do you have a specific type that you’d recommend?
5. What’s the biggest mistake people make when they first start trying to get organized?
6. Do you have any tips for organizing paper clutter? I find that to be one of the biggest challenges in many homes.
7. How do you get everyone in the household involved in the organizing process?
8. Many people are overwhelmed with the thought of organizing their home and their life. What advice would you give those people?
9. How do you organize kid’s toys in a way that takes up little space?
10. What can readers expect to find on your website, Organizing Junkie?
Thank you so much to Laura for answering these organizing questions!
Be sure to check out Laura’s website, Organizing Junkie for a ton of helpful organizing tips.