In Canada, maternity benefits are paid to the mother for a maximum of 15 weeks, then there are additional parental benefits. Paternal benefits are available to either parent, or split between them, to a combined maximum of 35 weeks. So if the father remains at work, the mother could receive 50 weeks of payments.
The maternity and parental benefits are paid through the Employment Insurance (EI) program. To apply for these benefits you will need:
- Your Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Record of Employment (ROE)
- Government issued identification
- Bank information for direct deposit
- Child's date of birth, or expected date of birth
- Employment details such as salary and last day worked
You will receive 55% of your average earnings, up to a maximum weekly payment of $447. This means that if you currently make more than $42,300 a year, you will not receive a full 55% of your income, but will get the maximum $447 a week. This is taxable income and the federal and provincial taxes will be deducted automatically so you will get a lesser amount on your cheque or direct deposit.
Working during your maternity leave will reduce your benefits dollar for dollar so there's no financial benefit to that. However, when you are on parental benefits you can earn whichever is higher, 25% of your benefit amount or $50. So depending on benefit amount you receive, you can make an additional $50-$111 a week without having your benefit payments reduced.
While still less than you would make while working, maternity and parental benefits are a great way to enable families to take the time off to properly care for their newborn.
Baby Week Giveaway – Set Of 5 Books!
To enter, leave a comment (use valid email address, it will not be published) in any article this week. Each day will give you one more chance to win!
After leaving at least one comment so that I know you're interested in these books, you can get bonus entries by doing either (or both) of the following:
- Subscribe to MapleMoney email, where you'll get each article, 5 days a week with no spam emails. If you're already subscribed and leave a comment, you will automatically get this bonus entry!
- Follow MapleMoney on Twitter and re-tweet any of our tweets during the week!
This contest for a set of five No-Cry Solution books is open to anyone in Canada or the United States. The deadline for entries is Friday, October 16th at 11:59PM MST and the winners will be contacted by email on Saturday. There will be two winners, chosen with a random number generator from Random.org.