Welcome to The MapleMoney Show, the podcast that helps Canadians improve their personal finances to create lasting financial freedom. I’m your host, Tom Drake, the founder of MapleMoney, where I’ve been writing about all things related to personal finance since 2009.
Today’s show is geared to those who are new to investing, or have never invested at all, and my guest is John Robertson. A personal finance blogger and author of the book, The Value Of Simple, John is a great resource for anyone who’s new to investing.
John explains why popular investment products such as ETF’s, which are purchased through brokerage accounts, can seem confusing or cumbersome to newer investors.
He offers some simpler ways to invest, such as through a robo-advisor, or by purchasing balanced mutual funds. He highlights Tangerine’s all-in-one mutual fund products, which are very easy to purchase.
Lastly, John touches on the investment everyone is talking about; bitcoin. He explains what makes bitcoin an alternative investment, and why he doesn’t believe that they’re necessary for your portfolio.
This episode is made possible by our sponsors at Borrowell. Summer is moving season. Borrowell can supply you with a free credit score and report to give to your new landlord. It’s the same Equifax score used by many banks and lenders and can be useful when you’re securing a new place to live. Pay them a visit today at Borrowell.com.
- John shares the first step a beginning investor should take.
- The importance of creating an investment plan.
- The investment mix that will carry you across the finish line.
- Why alternative investments like bitcoin aren’t necessary.
- Newer investors may find products such as ETF’s cumbersome.
- The dangers of daytrading.
- The key differences between TFSAs and RRSPs.
- John shares his insight on the peer-to-peer lending phenomenon.
- John shares a resource that will help you find the right robo-advisor.
- Check out John’s blog, Blessed By The Potato.
- The Practical Index Investing Course.
- Purchase John’s book, The Value Of Simple.
- Questrade, John’s recommended discount brokerage.
- WealthSimple, Robo-Advisor
- Find the right Robo-Advisor for you
- Explore Tangerine Bank’s Investment Funds
- All about the TD E-Series of funds.
- Follow John on Twitter