Welcome to The MapleMoney Show, the podcast that helps Canadians improve their personal finances to create lasting financial freedom. I’m your host, Tom Drake, the founder of MapleMoney, where I’ve been writing about all things related to personal finance since 2009.
Have you come across stories of bloggers who are making 5 or 6 figures a month? On the other hand, you may have heard me say that if you need to make extra money fast, blogging is not a great way to do it.
My guest this week is Michael Dinich, from Your Money Geek. Michael shares his experience as a new blogger, entering a business where bloggers in every niche will tell you how much money they’re making, then sell you a course on how you can be just like them.
Michael dispels the myth that blogging offers a quick way to make money. Unfortunately, too many bloggers are enticing readers with traffic and income reports, without telling the full story. In fact, these reports are often nothing more than thinly veiled sales copy.
Michael explains why a long term approach is best. And for most, he advises not to spend a lot of money to start your blog. It’s simply not necessary, with so many free resources available online.
Watch your money grow in a low maintenance, low fee portfolio with Wealthsimple. Maple Money listeners get their first $10,000 managed for free, for the first year. For more on Wealthsimple, check them out here.
- How the career path of a blogger is similar to that of a musician or actor.
- How blogging has changed in the past 10 years.
- Don’t turn to blogging to solve short term financial problems.
- Why blogger income reports are too often thinly veiled sales pitches.
- With blogging, it’s important to keep track of ongoing changes.
- Trends in blogging and social media.
- Why Michael is not a big fan of Facebook.
- Why there’s no need to spend a lot of money to get started blogging.