Welcome to The MapleMoney Show, the podcast that helps Canadians improve their personal finances to create lasting financial freedom. I’m your host, Tom Drake, the founder of MapleMoney, where I’ve been writing about all things related to personal finance since 2009.
Living frugally is a great way to get your spending under control and improve your personal finances. But what is the good of cutting expenses to the point where you may not be getting the most out of life?
My guest this week is Tanja Hester, author of the new book, Work Optional, and founder of the popular blog, Our Next Life. She joins us to share her views on how we can be hardcore in our approach to saving money, while still being able to spend on high-quality items or experiences that align with your priorities.
Tanja explains that her life doesn’t really look all that frugal, but what she and her husband have done is cut out expenses that don’t add value to their lives. Instead, they allow themselves to spend money on the things that do, like international travel.
Tanja and I also delve into the topic of early retirement, which is one of the focuses of her new book, Work Optional. Tanja explains why knowing exactly what you want to do with your life makes it so much easier to save money, and perhaps fulfill that dream of early retirement.
Have you decided what to do with that big tax refund that might be around the corner? The smart thing to do is invest it. In fact, if you put it right into your RRSP, you’ll get a jumpstart on the year’s contributions. As a MapleMoney reader, get $10,000 managed for free when you open a new account or transfer your existing RRSP to our sponsor, Wealthsimple. Visit Wealthsimple today!
- What is selective frugality all about?
- A frugal exercise to help you stretch your comfort zone
- Travelling offseason is a great way to save money
- The value of buying quality over junk
- Why you should spend money on things that improve your life
- Saving money shouldn’t be the primary focus of retiring early
- Knowing what you want from life makes it much easier to save money
- How you can win a FREE copy of Work Optional in our giveaway!