10 Ways To Save Money On Back To School Shopping
With school coming soon, many parents will be back to school shopping for supplies and new clothing for their children. Here are some tips to get you through this busy time and also save money!
- Make a list of the items you need and stick to the list. No different than grocery shopping, there will always be temptations in the isles that you may not really need.
- Look at what supplies you still have from last year and are still in good condition to be used this year. While kids may be rough on the supplies, you shouldn’t need to buy a new stapler or ruler every year.
- Look at the flyers for deals. Almost every major store will have back to school sales right now. Comparing advertisements and getting the best price can be accomplished easily leading up to the first day of school.
- Check out dollar stores. They have many of the usual supplies like pens, pencils, rulers and tape.
- Costco may be another option as well, especially if you have more than one child since most of the supplies come in multiples.
- When shopping for back to school clothing, look in the closet first to decide what is actually needed. Set a budget and stay within it.
- Try to stay away from some of the “coolest” brand names if it also means that they’re the most expensive.
- You don’t need to buy all the school clothes in time for the first day of school either. There may be other deals later in the year.
- If you’re looking for used clothing, visit garage sales and search on eBay, Kijiji and Craigslist.
- For something a little different, consider hosting a clothing swap. Parents can bring clothes that no longer fit their children and then pick clothes from the pile that other parents brought. Everyone takes home the same amount of clothes that they came with, but your child will have “new” clothes that fit!