Alka-seltzer – it’s not just for easing an upset stomach! Well, that’s what many people think it’s for, but surprisingly, there a bunch of other ways to use Alka-Seltzer.
I love finding ways to use regular household items, such as vinegar, baking soda, and now Alka-Seltzer! Nothing says frugal much more than finding new uses for items you regularly use in your home and life.
9 Remarkable Uses for Alka-Seltzer
- Need to unclog and/or deodorize your drain? Put four Alka-Seltzer tablets down your drain, followed by a cup of white vinegar. and allow to stand for 15 minutes. Then, pour boiling water down the drain.
- Need relief from inset bites? Soak a cotton ball in a solution of 2 Alka-Seltzer tablets and a cup of warm water. Hold the cotton ball on the bite for 25-30 minutes.
- Have some pots, pans or bakeware with burnt-on food? To a sink full of hot water, add 5-6 Alka-Seltzer tablets and then add your cookware and allow to soak for an hour. Wash and rinse clean.
- To whiten yellowed cotton clothing, bedding or towels, soak in a solution of 2 Alka-Seltzer tables and a gallon of warm water. Hang to try in the sun to really brighten those items!
- Get rid of odours in your fridge by adding an Alka-Seltzer tablet to a cup of water and leaving it in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Make sure your fridge is thoroughly cleaned out before trying this.
- One of the hardest stains to remove from plastic containers is red pasta sauce. Not anymore! Fill your container with hot water and 1-2 Alka-Seltzer tablets. Soak for about 30 minutes and the stains will vanish!
- Clean your coffeemaker by filling the water chamber of your coffeemaker and then droping in three tablets. Once the Alka-Seltzer has dissolved completely, start a brew cycle. then, run through a plain water cycle before using the machine again.
- If you think you might be getting a urinary tract infection (UTI), take two Alka-Seltzer tablets in a glass of water right away (the moment you notice symptoms). This will immediately help you! If you have an Aspirin allergy, do NOT take Alka-Seltzer!
- Deanture cleanser products can be expensive. Instead, try some Alka-Seltzer! Clean your dentures by dropping an Alka-Seltzer tablet into a glass of warm water and dentures. Soak for about ten minutes.
Take a look around your home at the items you use all the time, and ask yourself “could I use this for something else, too?“. You may be surprised when you realize that most items in your home can be used for more than their intended purpose.